Green Umbrella is the leading alliance working to maximize the environmental sustainability of Greater Cincinnati. We’re driving collaboration to fuel measurable improvements in seven key areas of sustainability.
Green Umbrella is the leading alliance working to maximize the environmental sustainability of Greater Cincinnati. We’re driving collaboration to fuel measurable improvements in key areas of sustainability. Our vision is to have the region recognized as one of the top 10 most sustainable metro areas in the nation by 2020.
Our goals for the region by 2020:
- GREENSPACE: Increase the acreage of protected greenspace by 8,000 acres.
- OUTDOOR RECREATION & NATURE AWARENESS: Increase participation in recreational and educational activities, events and venues that get people outdoors into nature by 25%.
- LOCAL FOOD: Double the production and consumption of fruits and vegetables grown within our region.
- ENERGY CONSERVATION & EFFICIENCY: Reduce the total energy consumption in the built environment by 15%.
- RENEWABLE ENERGY: Double the local production of renewable energy each year.
- TRANSPORTATION: Reduce the use of gasoline and diesel as motor fuels by 20%.
- WASTE REDUCTION: Reduce waste disposed in the residential/commercial sector by 33% as we transition to “zero waste.”
- WATERSHED: Protect, enhance and celebrate all streams, rivers and other water resources by making a measurable improvement in 75% of them.
Our work to meet these goals is done through collaborative Action Teams that meet monthly to drive progress toward the measurable goals they have established for our region. View our Action Team Progress Reports for 2018 and 2017.
Green Umbrella facilitates collaboration among over 200 area non-profits, businesses, educational institutions and governmental entities focused on the environmental aspects of sustainability. With our members, we aim to meet the environmental, social, and economic needs of today while preserving the ability of future generations to do the same.
We have united around the Collective Impact Model, which has produced remarkable results for the STRIVE Partnership, the collaborative that promotes innovation in our local education system. The model teaches that success requires having a common agenda, using a shared measurement system, supporting mutually reinforcing activities and maintaining continuous communication.
Green Umbrella is the “backbone organization” that helps all member organizations work better together to promote a more environmentally sustainable region.
Green Umbrella was first organized in 1998 to unite citizens and organizations concerned about preserving and restoring the abundant diversity of wildlife and plants that thrives in the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana area. It focused initially on conserving greenspace for the social, economic and environmental vitality of the region.
In 2005, Green Umbrella expanded its mission to include a focus on promoting outdoor recreation and nature awareness for children and adults alike.
In 2011, Green Umbrella partnered with Agenda 360 and Vision 2015 (now Skyward), our area’s leading planning initiatives, to become the sustainability alliance for the region around Cincinnati. Green Umbrella now works to improve economic vitality and quality of life by maximizing the collective impact of a wide range of concerned citizens and organizations dedicated to environmental sustainability.
Our service area now includes 10 counties: Butler, Clermont, Hamilton, and Warren (in Ohio); Boone, Campbell, Grant, and Kenton (in Kentucky); and Dearborn and Franklin (in Indiana).